‘Mag-aral ka muna’: Duterte hits Pacquiao over his ‘shallow knowledge’

on foreign policy

Published June 8, 2021, 10:58 PM, by Raymund Antonio, MB

MANILA, Philippines — Senator and boxing champ Manny Pacquiao needs to “study first” before he criticizes foreign policies and inactions in the government, President Duterte said on Tuesday, June 8.

“I don’t want to degrade him, but next time he should—mag-aral ka muna nang husto bago ka pumasok (Study well first before you enter),” he told Kingdom of Jesus Christ Pastor Apollo Quiboloy during an interview on SMNI.

The Chief Executive said Pacquiao has a “very shallow knowledge” when it comes to issues of national concern.

The senator recently aired his grievances over seeming inactions in the government when it comes to pressing issues such as the power interruptions in Luzon. Last month, he also said he finds Duterte’s recent stance on Chinese incursions lacking.

Pacquiao, who is the president of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), which is also Duterte’s party, said during his privilege speech in the Senate that he is fed up with congressional hearings that do not result in specific actions.

“Sa totoo lang, napupuno talaga ako. Ayaw ko ‘yung mag-uusap tayo dito tapos pagkatapos ng hearing, lilipas na lang ‘yung taon, ilang taong lumipas ‘yung pinag-usapan na solution hindi man lang ginagawa (To be honest, I’m already fed up. I hate that we’d talk here and then after the hearing, years will just pass and the solution talked about was not even being implemented),” he added.

Nothing good comes out of the hearings because nothing is being done, Pacquiao said.

The senator is vocal about wanting to run as president next year, but he is up against another faction in his own party. Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi is on the other side, persuading presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio to be the party’s standard-bearer for the 2022 polls.

Meanwhile, Duterte also defended his foreign policy, which he described as “neutral.”

“Mas close ako sa Russia. Wala akong kilala sa Amerika (I am closer to Russia. I don’t know anyone in America),” the President said, citing that he has a good relationship with China.

The Philippines has always held friendly relations with the United States, but the Duterte administration put in limbo this relationship when the Chief Executive earlier warned the non-renewal of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA).

He is also a lot friendlier to China, even saying at some point that he loves Chinese President Xi Jinping and that the Philippines needs China more than anybody else even with the maritime issues in the West Philippine Sea.

“Ako, neutral in the sense that I do not favor one country for the other nor I would allow any of those countries to be in the Philippines to establish itong mga (these) military bases,” Duterte told Quiboloy.

The President said there are no strings attached to favors extended by Russia in providing rifles and heavy lift trucks.

“I would be telling a lie to the people if I say there was. Wala talaga (There really is none). Kung may (If there are) strings attached, I would not accept any,” he added.
 

Yuka Saso to be honored in stamps

By Lea Devio, TMT, June 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Newly-crowned US Open golf champion Yuka Saso will be featured in stamps, Postmaster General Norman Fulgencio announced on Thursday.

"This is our own little way of honoring and acknowledging her great effort and contribution to society. The 19-year-old Filipina golfer must be given the honor to be featured in Postage Stamp and Postcard for her unprecedented victory," Fulgencio said in a statement.

Saso was the first Filipino to capture the crown in the US Women's Open championship. With her feat, she bagged a $1-million prize.


She won the gold medal in the 2016 World Junior Girls Championship as well as two gold medals at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Fulgencio said the Philippine Postal Corp. will constantly honor living Filipinos who brought inspiration, joy, pride and glory to the Filipino community.

The Post Office, he added, will issue stamps for acclaimed but relatively unknown Filipino writers, designers, sports personalities, musicians, artists, scientists, and other nationally and internationally known figures, both living and deceased.

Aside from this, famous modern-day artists will create their own rendition for the definitive stamps to add more excitement and prestige to stamp design.

A definitive stamp is a postage stamp that is part of the regular issue of a country's stamps, available for sale at the post office for an extended period of time.
 

‘Asian hate’ strikes anew: PH diplomat verbally harassed in New York subway

By: Zacarian Sarao - @inquirerdotnetINQUIRER.net / 01:15 PM June 13, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — A Philippine Consulate General diplomat  became the latest victim of racism and “Asian hate” after she was verbally harassed and assaulted in New York City subway train on Friday.

“On Friday, one of our colleagues at the Philippine Consulate General in New York became the latest victim of anti-Asian hate. Our colleague, a female consular officer, was verbally assaulted while on board the B train on her way to the Consulate yesterday morning,” said Consul General Elmer Cato.


“An individual on board the train accosted her as soon as she stepped on board by asking her: “Where’d you come from? Where’d you come from?” The individual went on with his race-based tirade by saying: “We don’t need you here! We don’t need you here! F**k you! I hope you all die and everybody on this train!,” added Cato.

On Friday, one of our colleagues at the Philippine Consulate General in New York became the latest victim of anti-Asian…

Posted by Elmer G Cato on Saturday, June 12, 2021

According to Cato, this is the 14th anti-Asian hate crime involving a member of the Filipino Community reported to the Consulate so far this year.  

Cato said that the incident has already been reported to the New York City Police Department.

 “We are deeply disturbed by this incident which came a few days after a member of the Filipino community sustained injuries after he was violently assaulted in a subway platform in New York City,” said Cato on Saturday in a statement posted on Fsocial media.

 

 Just a few months ago, a 61-year-old Filipino man got his face slashed in the New York City subway.

“We join the Asia-American and Pacific Islander Community in condemning these incidents and in expressing our serious concern for the safety of our kababayan (countrymen) and other Asian-Americans in New York City,” said Cato.

 

 “We call on authorities of New York City to take additional measures to make our kababayan and other Asian-Americans feel safe when outside their homes by increasing police presence especially in the subways and addressing the mental health concerns that reportedly affect as many as 40 percent of homeless individuals in the city, a number of who have also been involved in recent hate crimes against Asian Americans,” he added.

 Cato urged all Filipino-Americans to remain vigilant outside their homes and when taking the subway. 

 “Kababayan should immediately call 911 if they witness any hate crime or if they become victims themselves. They are also encouraged to report any incidents to the Consulate,” he said.

International flights back at MCIA

By: Morexette Marie B. Erram - Multimedia Reporter - CDN Digital|June 13,2021 - 02:24 PM

CEBU CITY, Philippines — Incoming international flights are back at Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) as of Sunday, June 13.

Lawyer Glenn Napuli, officer-in-charge of Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA), confirmed to CDN Digital in a text message that the airport would accept inbound international flights again starting Sunday.

Napuli said at least two flights from abroad would be expected to land at the airport on Sunday. These flights are from Singapore via Scoot, and from South Korea via JinAir.

“Naa ta (We have) incoming flights — Scoot Air from Singapore… and from Incheon (South Korea via Jin Air),” Napuli said.

To recall, the Malacañang ordered to divert all flights bound for MCIA twice. First, from May 29 to June 5, then from June 7 to June 12.

The diversions, the Palace said, were set so that the protocols of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) will be ‘fully and seamlessly implemented’.

Cebu has its own swabbing policies for incoming Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs) and Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) called the Swab-Upon-Arrival policy.

The rule has deviated from those implemented by the IATF that requires incoming Filipino travelers from abroad to undergo quarantine for 14 days in which 10 days will be in an accredited facility and the remaining days in home quarantine.

They, too, will only be subjected for swabbing on the seventh day.

In Cebu, ROFs and OFWs will be swabbed upon arrival, and will only need to stay in quarantine for a maximum of three days if they test negative for the infection.

Residents in Cebu will also undergo another round of swab tests once they arrive at their respective localities, expenses of which will be shouldered by the Department of Health in Central Visayas (DOH-7).

Key officials from concerned agencies, including MCIAA, agreed that they would continue to implement the Swab-Upon-Arrival policy even after the diversion of international flights bound for Mactan would be lifted.

The province’s swabbing protocol recently gained support from national government officials, particularly members of the Senate.

7-day quarantine for returning Filipinos
fully vaccinated in PH

By: Krissy Aguilar - Reporter / @KAguilarINQINQUIRER.net / 11:21 AM June 04, 2021


MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines has set a seven-day facility-based quarantine period for Filipinos returning from abroad who who were fully vaccinated in the country against COVID-19, Malacañang said Friday.


Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Roque noted the new policy only covers “fully vaccinated individuals who have been inoculated in the Philippines.”

 

“10 days pa rin pag foreign [national],” Roque told INQUIRER.net when asked to clarify if the shortened quarantine period also covers vaccinated foreigners.

Roque added there is still no new policy for foreign nationals or Filipinos who were vaccinated abroad.

The Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ) was directed to strictly monitor symptoms of individuals in quarantine facilities for seven days.

 

An RT-PCR or swab test will only be conducted when the individual manifests COVID-19 symptoms within the seven-day quarantine.

 

After completing the 7-day facility-based quarantine, Roque said the BOQ will issue a quarantine certificate indicating the individual’s vaccination status.

 

According to guidelines approved by the government’s COVID-19 task force, an individual is considered fully vaccinated two or more weeks after receiving their second dose, or two or more weeks after receiving a single-shot COVID-19 vaccine.

Fully vaccinated individuals must also carry their vaccination cards to be verified by the BOQ and the Department of Transportation (DOTr).

The reduction of the quarantine period to just seven days from 10 days was earlier floated by the Department of Tourism (DOT).

The DOT also proposed a green lane that will help expedite the entry of foreign travelers already fully vaccinated against COVID-19.